flyingshapes° Launches Next-Generation Virtual Reality CAD
flyingshapes° has commercially launched a next-generation virtual reality CAD application targeted at streamlining 3D modeling and design for professionals working across industrial design, including product design, automotive, manufacturing, engineering, architecture, 3D printing and related fields. Available today for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive headsets, flyingshapes° innovates traditional design by introducing a VR CAD workflow for 3D spatial modeling in a fully immersive virtual environment, with intuitive haptic controls and interactive tools for sketching, surfacing and collaborating with teams on the cloud. flyingshapes° is targeted at reducing time-consuming iteration cycles during prototyping and early stages of design, with a robust feature set developed to help professionals achieve greater efficiency and accuracy in a 3D workspace than previously possible on a 2D screen.
“We’re leveraging VR technology to solve the challenges and design bottlenecks that hinder traditional CAD workflows,” said Jonas Kunze, Co-Founder, flyingshapes°. “Lengthy iteration cycles, communication inefficiencies and discrepancies between the initial prototype and final model waste resources and can delay time to market for new products. We’ve engineered flyingshapes° to revolutionize design workflows and help teams maximize time spent perfecting models.”
“Our vision is to make CAD as accessible as an iPhone app,” said Dr. Johannes Mattmann, Co-Founder, flyingshapes°. “Traditional CAD applications have a steep learning curve and require designers to create 3D models in 2D workspaces. We’re disrupting classic CAD workflows by allowing designers to sketch 3D models to scale in a fully virtual environment, using their hands to build and manipulate objects.”
Powered by Unity real-time rendering on mid- to high-end NVIDIA or AMD GPUs, flyingshapes° is a 3D surface modeling tool that allows users to sketch, shape and refine high-end CAD models within a VR headset. Intuitive haptic controls enable users to mold and position objects with exact lines, curves and surfaces using hand gestures in an immersive 360-degree workspace. Precise measurement tools and positioning aids ensure accuracy, with real-time rendering updating the model in real time. Collaboration tools enable teams to work on projects around the world and share models for review and feedback. Approved, final models can be exported in CAD file formats for 3D printing or use with traditional CAD applications.
flyingshapes° features include:
- Virtual Design Studio: Develop and experience 3D models in an immersive VR environment, and collaborate with teams within a shared workspace.
- 3D Sketch Pen Tool: Draw sketches at any scale and view them in an interactive 3D space.
- Curve and Line Tool: Refine sketches with precise B-spline curves and lines, created with simple gestures in VR.
- Surface Building Tool: Build digital models out of smooth surfaces, using a gesture-based workflow to shape and refine.
- Taping Tool: Paint bold lines with precision for design reviews and modeling.
- Measurement Tools: Accurately measure and define distances, angles and volumes.
- Diagnostic and Intelligent Modeling Tools: Use parametric tools to manage continuity and verify surface quality in real-time 3D.
- Positioning Aids: Positional tracking and aids allow controlled movements on a single axis or plane or scaling around the axis within a confined workspace.
- CAD Import & Export: Seamlessly transfer models into traditional CAD workflows using industry-grade file formats, including STEP, STL and IGES.
flyingshapes° is available today on Steam for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive for a monthly subscription starting at 49€. For more information, visit: https://www.flyingshapes.com