Noitom - Perception Neuron
The Falcon is a sophisticated 3D touch haptic device. In essence a small robot, it can provide a user with 3 Degree of Freedom (DOF) control and force feedback. It is therefore both a 3D input controller and 3D output device. The Falcon has 3 parallel arms that move in and out of the body, each connected to a motor. It connects to a computer with a USB 2.0 port. The computer can then keep track of the handle's movements through space (x, y, z or right-left, forwards-backwards, up-down) and output forces at 1000 Hz to give a realistic sense of touch in computing. The Falcon can simulate a detailed sense of touch including surfaces and textures, game effects like gun recoil or impact forces, and even medical simulation. The Falcon is a powerful and inexpensive solution for high-fidelity haptics.
- Falcon 3D Touch Device Specifications:
- Approximate workspace: 4 inches x 4 inches x 4 inches or 10cm x 10cm x 10cm. Note there is additional room for movement in other directions which can be useful in some applications, such as along the z axis (handle movement away-towards the Falcon).
- Force capabilities: Approximately 2 pounds or 9 newtons
- Position resolution: better than 400 increments per inch or 160 increments per cm
- Degrees of Freedom: 3 - x (right-left), y (forward-backward), and z (up-down)
- Computer Interface: USB 2.0
- Size: 8.5 inches tall x 11 inches wide x 9.5 inches deep or 22 cm tall x 28 cm wide x 24 cm deep
- Weight: 6.2 lbs or 2.8 kg
- Power: 30 watts
- Voltage: 100V-240V, 50Hz-60Hz. Note, the power supply does not always show that it works at 240v, but even the power supplies that are not labeled with 240v will work with 240v. This is true of all Falcon power supplies from inception.
- Box Size: 18 inches x 19 inches x 12 inches or 46 cm x 48 cm x 30.5 cm
- Box Weight: 14 lbs or 6.4 kg